According to a study being underweight is defined as having Body Mass Index(BMI) under 18.5 which means you are not getting enough calories.
Being underweight is as bad for your health as overweight. Being underweight is asociated with a greater risk of earlier death , both in men and women which is worst then the overweight as it can impair your immune system, leads to osteoporosis , fractures and fertility problem.
The road to weight gain journey is understanding and taking the correct balance of protein, carbohydrates and fats through the foods you eat. Protein and carbs contains 4 kcal per gram and fat contains 9 kcal per gram. So you should start eating more of foods which contains healthy fats and should also add protein and carbs to your diet.
To gain weight you should daily consume :
- 1.1 grams of protein per pound of your body weight
- 2 grams of carbs per pound of your body weight
- 0.5 grams of fat per pound of your body weight
Here are some high calories food that you should eat daily in order to gain – nuts (almonds, cashews, walnuts, peanuts), nuts butter(peanut, almonds), Oils, Avocado, Seeds(Flex, Chia, Sunflower, Pumpkins), Cheese, Dairy Products.
How to Gain Weight?
Gaining weight is not that easy as it looks, it takes time and you should be patience if you want it done right.
Eating sugar, burgers or junk foods may help you to gain some weight however it is overall not good for your health.Eating unhealthy foods may cause health issues. So it’s better to eat healthy foods and live a healthy lifestyle.
Eat More than you burn
The most important thing you can do to gain weight is eating more calories than you burn daily.
Aim to take 300-500 more calories more than you burn. So you should take calorie surplus diet if you want to gain weight.
Eat Plenty of Protein
The most important nutrient to gaining weight is protein as it helps in muscle gaining and the extra calories taken from protein are turned into muscles.
The high protein foods includes chicken, eggs, fish, meat, milk, protein supplements like whey protein and many others.
Eat at Least 3 Times per Day
Try to eat minimum 3 times a day, if you want to gain. Eat plenty of high-carbs and high-fat foods if weight gain is a priority for you.
Many people do not eat carbs and fats when they want to lose weight however you should not think of doing that if your goal is to gain weight. So it is better to eat plenty of protein, carbs and fats in each meal.
Lift heavy weights
Lifting heavy helps the extra calories to go to your muscle instead of fat cells. So you should go to gym 2-4 times a week and focus on the weights.
Your main focus should be on lifting weights and not on cardio. Cardio is good for improving your fitness level however it can burn more calories that you are eating. So you can do cardio but your main focus should be on lifting heavy weights.
Eat More Fats
Eat more of healthy fats as it contains more calories and will help you to increase your weight. Unsaturated fats are high in calories and nutrients.
Healthy fats food includes avocado, nuts, and vegetable oils, such as canola, olive, and peanut oils.
Here are some Quick Tips to gain weight :
- Eat your protein first and veggies at the last.
- Eat more often. Squeeze in an additional meal or snack whenever you can, such as before bed.
- Use bigger plates. You will definitely eat more as smaller plates cause people to automatically eat less.
- Get Proper rest. Sleeping properly is very important for your muscle growth.
- Don’t drink water before meals. This can fill your stomach and will make it difficult for you to take in more calories.
- Drink milk. Drinking whole milk is a simple way to getting more protein and carbs at the same time.
- Do not Smoke. Smokers tend to weigh less than non-smokers, and quitting smoking often leads to weight gain.