Protein is an important component of every cell in the body. Your body uses protein to build and repair tissues.Protein is an important building block of bones, muscles, cartilage, skin, and blood.
Why you should take Protein?
Protein plays a vital role in our body. The main function of protein is to build, strengthen, repair the tissues.
Protein serve several functions:
- It controls the activity of the cells
- It provides structure to hair, muscles, nails, cell components
- It maintains cell contacts
- It builds, repairs the tissues
So, you should take adequate amount of protein per day . As a very low protein intake can lead to:
- Weak muscle tone
- loss of muscle mass
- thin and brittle hair
- stunted growth in children
How much Protein should you take per Day?
The amount of food from the Protein you need to eat depends on age, sex, and level of physical activity
- people who don’t workout should take 0.5g/lb, it means if your body weights 180lb then you need to take 90g of protein per day.
- people who are slightly active should take 0.8g/lb, it means if your body weights 180lb then you need to take 130g of protein per day.
- people who are highly active should take 1g/lb, it means if your body weights 180lb then you need to take 180g of protein per day.
Foods high in Protein
Eggs are high in protein and eggs whites are pure protein, 1 large egg has 6 grams of protein, with 78 calories
Chicken breast is one of the most popular protein-rich foods.
1 roasted chicken breast has 53 grams of protein and 284 calories.
Fish is also very high in protein and have various nutrients. It also contains omega-3 fats.
A 154 gram of fish contains 39 grams of protein with 179 calories.
Almonds are popular types of nuts. It contains many nutrients, fiber, vitamin, magnesium.
28 grams (one ounce )of almonds has 6 grams of protein and has 161 calories.
Oats are one of the most healthiest grains. They are loaded with fibers, magnesium and many other nutrients.
A half cup of oats has 13 grams of protein and 303 calories.
Milk is high in calcium, phosphorus and vitamin B2.
1 cup of whole milk has 8 grams of protein with 149 calories.
Lean beef is very high in protein. It also contains iron, vitamin B12 and many other nutrients important for your body.
85 grams of beef has 22 grams of protein with 184 calories.
Taking High Protein is Bad for you?
There are tons of benefits of taking protein. Taking high protein is beneficial for you especially for muscle mass and losing weight.
It also helps you to keep full for a longer period of time which leads to low calorie intake and results in weight loss.
So, there are no harms of taking high protein however if you have a kidney disease you should follow your doctor’s instructions and limit the protein intake.